All academies have a sponsor or sponsors. King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy is sponsored by the Schools of King Edward VI Foundation. The King Edward VI Foundation dates back to 1552 when a school was established in Birmingham with the permission of King Edward VI. The Foundation now includes seven schools: two independent fee paying schools and five state funded grammar schools, all in Birmingham. The Sponsor has a national reputation for academic excellence, particularly in the sciences. It serves the city of Birmingham and the surrounding areas with excellent schools offering students a wide ranging and exciting education. The Sponsor is keen to expand its work across the city and region, and is always looking for exciting new ways of doing this. Sheldon Heath Community Arts College closed at midnight on 31 August 2010, with King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy opening on 1st September 2010. The site formed part of a large area acquired by Birmingham City Council in 1948. From before the 1880s most of the site was agricultural land crossed by several field boundaries. Small ponds were present on the north and south east boundaries. Another larger pond or area of flooding in a field is shown on the 1940s photograph spanning the north boundary. The site was prepared for development in the 1950s with the ponds infilled, the school opening in 1955. The surrounding area was developed for residential purposes in the 1940s and 1950s.