Design Technology

Design Technology at Key Stage 3

In year 7 and year 8 pupils will complete two or three projects each school year. These projects are linked along with food and textiles to cover the national curriculum. All projects involve making a product and the technical knowledge that goes along with this, as well as that, each project will focus on designing and/or evaluating.

The projects in RM are:

Year 7

Baseline test – which covers:

  • Applying knowledge and understanding of materials and techniques
  • Plan, organise and make.
  • Reflecting on their designing

Animal themed jigsaw, focusing in hand skills and finish.

Pop art inspired picture frame focusing on hand skills, working to a theme and creating a range of quality models.

Year 8

Headphone wrap, focusing on CAD, the laser cutter and 2D design.

Ro-Block, focusing on more complex hand and machine tools as well as a quality paint finish.

Graphics based project, focusing on drawing and rendering skills as well a presentation.

GCSE in Design technology

Click here to download the DT PDF.


Why study this subject?

Do you enjoy designing? Do you enjoy making? Pick Design technology as an option, and you will be able to do both as well as using computer design software and hardware to design, manipulate and create.


During this course you will learn to:

  • Work in a hands-on way to develop the core skills to make high quality products using woods, metals and polymers.
  • Use traditional skills and also modern technologies and elements of three-dimensional design.
  • Utilise the creative potential of combining and manipulating different two-dimensional and three-dimensional materials and media.
  • In addition, you will understand the characteristics of materials such as resistance, malleability, recyclability and sustainability.

Post-16 Progression

Three Dimensional Design is a popular and challenging A-Level course open to all who achieve a good grade in GCSE Product Design or 3D design. This A-Level supports applications to a number of degree courses at University, including Engineering, Design, Art, Architecture and many more.

How will I be assessed?

Your class work and homework will be regularly marked and feedback given will ensure you know how to improve your progress and attainment. An external examination at the end of Year 11 will make 40% of your GCSE grade, the remaining 60% being from your portfolio.

What qualifications will I get at the end of the course?

GCSE in Design Technology at a grade that reflects your work ethic and commitment.

What can this qualification lead to afterwards?

This course develops the knowledge, skills and experience that could potentially open the door to a career in related industries such as, engineering, architecture, aerospace, cabinet and furniture making, computer programming, game designer, illustrator, industrial designer, packaging designer and many more. Upon completion of this course, you will be qualified to go on to further study in three-dimension design, product design, design technology or art-based courses. Or consider apprenticeships in carpentry/joinery, motor mechanic, plumber, tool maker.

How much homework will I have to do?

You will be expected to continually develop your understanding independently.

Where can I find out more about this qualification?

Speak with anyone in the Design Technology department. Alternatively, you can look at: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/art-and-design-2016.html or http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/materials-technology/specifications/AQA-3740-SP-2017.PDF

  • Picture2
  • Picture3
  • Picture4
  • SAM 6456
  • SAM 6512
  • SAM 6516
  • SAM 6526
  • SAM 6545
  • SAM 6551



    King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham is a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered number 10654935. Registered office: Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham, B15 2UD. Academy tel: 0121 464 4428.

    We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.