The Year 7s kicked off their 2023 campaign with an impressive 7-0 win against Yardley in a cup/league fixture. Goals came from Lu’ay x3, Tyler x2, Cole and Jide.

As goal difference could potentially decide things in the league the message to the boys was to continue doing what they were doing and get some more goals. Again we dominated possession and created a lot of opportunity for goals. Which we gladly took with Lu’ay scoring a second half hat trick securing him the player of the match.

The year 8 boys football team had their second game and first 11 a side game last night vs Hall Green School.  Unfortunately the game didn’t go the way we want to go coming out on a 4-1 loss, on another day the result could have gone our way if we managed to take our chances.

Hall Green showed great team spirit and determination through the whole game, the Hall Green school took a very lead into the game coming after 3 minutes however the KESH team didn’t stop pushing forward to get back into the game and they did through Will who was assisted by Nicolae . While we was pushing to grab the lead the boys forgot about the basic and forgot to track back at times which where the Hall Green forwards took advantage off and getting two quick goals in the space of 3 minutes.

Second half the boys was fired up and wanted to get back into the game and for the whole of the second half they was on top and kept on pushing to get a second, however the Hall Green defence and goalkeeper was focused and kept their concentration levels high. The KESH team tried really hard to get back into the game but sometimes in football chances aren’t taken and last night wasn’t our night. Despite Hall Green being 3-1 they would still push forward and try and break the KESH spirits and get a fourth and kill the game off which they managed to do with the last kick of the game.

Despite losing the game 4-1, I’m still very proud of the lad for not giving up and the fact that it was their first 11 a side game as a team, shows how far they have come and still have a long journey ahead in their school football.

Also it is nice to see that even if students didn’t make the team they still showed their support by coming to watch the team play.

Mr Garbett

Fantastic news at the start of 2023. Ex KESH student Layla Banaras has started for the first team at Birmingham City Football Club Womens team. We hope you do really well Layla, we know the hard work you have put in.

Last Thursday saw the return of indoor Cricket, our year 9’s had one training session to prepare for an important game against Small Heath.

KESH won the toss and elected to bowl first. As Small Heath opened the batting, they were hitting the ball beautifully. They were timing their shots perfectly and managed to create a good score of 92. Our bowlers bowled brilliantly to try creating opportunities for wickets and managed to successfully bowl everyone out within 8 overs.

As it was our turn to bat, Faizaan and Isa opened the batting and collected valuable runs to keep us in the game. Unfortunately, Faizan got out, so Mustafa came in to help get us over the line. Mustafa and Isa were full of confidence and hitting the ball with pure aggression.

They collected valuable runs to keep us in the game. Isa had to retire due to maximising his runs as a batsman, so all the pressure was on Mustafa. 11th over, final ball, 2 runs needed to win. Mustafa took a deep breath, hit the ball into the corner and managed to run in between the wickets. We won by 1 run!

The scenes were unbelievable. We have 3 more games to play and if we win our next 2, we are guaranteed to play the finals at Edgbaston Cricket ground.

Mustafa, Mohammed, Faizaan, Uzair, Haythum, Aadam.

The year 7 boys had their first game yesterday afterschool against Cockshut Hill which they won quite comfortably in the end 3-1 with goals coming from Abdul x2 and Drew. Massively proud of them for how they played the game and how they represented the school fully supporting each other and shaking hands with all the opposition. Onto the next round of the cup!

A little about the game: we dominated possession of the ball from the get go with any attack being quickly snuffed out by either one of Jay, Billy, Kieron or Karson. So much so that our goalkeeper Aryan only touched the ball twice all half! It looked as though even with all our possession we weren’t going to score until the ball was played through to Abdul who sped through and finished passed the keeper to make it 1-0. It stayed this way until half time. Despite some wonderful play from Will to constantly be free to receive the ball and Lu’ay displaying some lovely skill. At half time the message was more of the same and to go get the next goal to put this game to bed.

Changes made meant we got Haroon, Jide and Drew on the pitch and Cole, Aryan and Abdul came off for a rest. However as always with football it didn’t go to plan as Cockshut Hill came charging out in the second half scoring virtually from kick off with a speculative effort. The lads did not let it get them down encouraging each other to go forward and regain our advantage from a corner taken by Will which Drew headed home to make it 2-1 to KESH. Again Cockshut Hill came back strong but some impressive defensive play from Billy and Karson and 4 brilliant saves from Haroon kept it at 2-1. Until Abdul back on the pitch latched onto a bouncing ball in the box to slot it home and make it 3-1. We didn’t stop there and kept pushing for more goals with Jide being played through and volleying against the post an inch away from making it 4. And then the final whistle was blown by one of our sixth formers who kindly agreed to referee – Jack.

The year 7’s travelled to Arch Bishopy Ilsley to compete in a 5- a side football tournament which involved 8 schools.

KESH girls played their first match and lost 1-0 in the first minute, however they kept their heads high with some great goalkeeping from Myla and fantastic defending from Rahma to avoid a 2nd goal for the opponents.

2nd match played, KESH girls confidence grew and team spirit was high with Tegan motivating all the girls for the next match. Connie picked the ball up from a great throw by Bethany inside the box and smashed it straight into the back of the net, KESH 1-0. Shakiyah picked up the ball on the left wing and drove down the line and had a shot at goal, crossbar was hit and opponents goalkeeper punched the ball away for a corner. Isobel picked out Bethany on the edge of the box and Bethany rocketed the ball in the bottom left corner. KESH win 2-0.

3rd match, confidence grew even more after winning their last match, Connie picked the ball up in her half of the pitch as drove the ball own the wing and scored. Connie then picked the ball up again from an amazing goal kick from Myla and tapped the ball straight in the back of the net. Rahma kicked the ball up the wing to avoid the opponents getting in our half, the ball landed straight to Connie to tap in straight in from the box.

KESH got through to the final, opponents shot past the defence and scored. KESH lost in the final 1-0, however KESH girls kept battling even with 1 minute to spare with a final corner everyone came up the box even the goalkeeper! KESH battling hard till the very end but couldn’t find the equaliser.

Great effort, passion, skills and sportsmanship from all of the girls! If you see any of the girls around the Academy please congratulate them on their win.

From the PE team

Yesterday afternoon we took the Year 9 rugby team over to KES Birmingham for their annual Greater Birmingham rugby competition. We started off by playing against the eventual winners KES Birmingham losing only 2 tries to 0, not a bad start considering it was our first ever full 15-a-side rugby game!

Game 2, wow, what a start… straight from the kick off, the ball gets into the hands of Zahed who sprints 80m down the field beating at least 6 defenders showing great speed to score our first try of the day. The Fairfax coach, who was refereeing, just looked at me shaking his head. He was as baffled as I was! KESH celebrate like we have won the World Cup! Unfortunately, the rain came down heavily along with 3 tries from the Fairfax team. KESH 5 - 15 Fairfax. 

The next 2 games v Bishop Vesey and Five Ways showed great improvement, but their strengths prevailed without us getting on the scoreboard. The resilience from the boys couldn’t be faulted as they battled on making tackles all afternoon. 

The final game, what a contest. We faced Camp Hill. The game started evenly balanced before the one and only Nathanael stormed through their defence to score a wonder try to put us into the lead (he must have been cold/hungry/both!). Conditions were bleak but Camp Hill scraped a try in the corner after some heroic efforts to save the try by Ali, Jason and Seb. Time was against us with the final whistle approaching fast while Camp Hill piled on the pressure but the KESH defence held strong forcing them to make the error to end the game in a draw. The boys were relieved not to have lost all their games on a tough afternoon. Credit to them all for their efforts. 

This week has been a great week for our Year 9’s. The girls won the Birmingham schools cup on Monday and the boys won yesterday. Yesterday's win felt extra special as we came 2nd place last year, so the boys were ready for redemption.

First game we started positively and won 2-0 against Tile Cross. Shamas scored the first goal with a beautiful finish with his weak foot into the bottom corner. Mustafa also got involved as he created a great run into the box and finished it calmly past the keeper.

Second game ended a draw against Yardley (0-0). Complete domination from the first minute but struggled to take any of our chances.

Third game against Holy Trinity ended in a 1-0 loss as we piled on constant pressure but gave them one chance at goal which they took. The boys did not let the defeat get to them, the fourth game approached against Waverley and won comfortably 2-0. Best friends Ali and Mikiel played really well with one another, Mikiel used his blistering pace to get past the defender, pass it through to Ali who finished it beautifully into the corner. Mustafa managed to get his second of the night as he ran into the box and slots it past the keeper.

Last and final game against Small Heath ended as a draw 0-0 so overall we finished on 8 points. Yesterday’s tournament results were so tight but we managed to win on goal difference, but we got the job done and pushed through right till the very end. Words cannot express how happy and proud I am.

Mr Hussain



King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham is a charitable company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Registered number 10654935. Registered office: Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham, B15 2UD. Tel: 0121 472 1147.

King Edward VI MAT

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.